[tor-dev] New Proposal - CAA Extensions for the Tor Rendezvous Specification

Q Misell q at as207960.net
Thu Apr 27 13:11:16 UTC 2023

Hi Raph,

Whilst I agree that in an ideal world CAs would be irrelevant, we do not
live in an ideal world. My proposal is one of many ways that a certificate
could be issued to hidden services.

Issuing standard TLS certificates to .onion domains allows HTTPS without
modification to the browser. This allows non Tor Browsers user agents to
access the Tor network via a proxy (SOCKS etc), doing otherwise would
require all browsers to understand Tor. It also opens up new opportunities
such as payment processing as current PCI DSS requirements do not allow
non-standard TLS.

Current hidden services with HTTPS such as the BBC already use standard TLS
certificates, however the process for these is extremely involved with
current CAs. My IETF draft aims to make this a much simpler process via the
already well-proven ACME.

Thanks,
------------------------------

Any statements contained in this email are personal to the author and are
not necessarily the statements of the company unless specifically stated.
AS207960 Cyfyngedig, having a registered office at 13 Pen-y-lan Terrace,
Caerdydd, Cymru, CF23 9EU, trading as Glauca Digital, is a company
registered in Wales under № 12417574
<https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/12417574>.
ICO register №: ZA782876 <https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/ZA782876>.
UK VAT №: GB378323867. EU VAT №: EU372013983. Turkish VAT №: 0861333524.
South Korean VAT №: 522-80-03080. Glauca Digital and the Glauca logo are
registered trademarks in the UK, under № UK00003718474 and № UK00003718468,
respectively.