[tor-dev] Practracker regen in #30381

teor teor at riseup.net
Thu Nov 28 23:57:53 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 28 Nov 2019, at 15:43, teor <teor at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> On 27 Nov 2019, at 22:34, George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>> teor <teor at riseup.net> writes:
>>
>>> It looks like you regenerated the whole practracker file in #30381:
>>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30381
>>> https://github.com/torproject/tor/commit/53ac9a9a91a8f2ab45c75550456716074911e685#diff-9fd3400f062c4541d79881e199fd9e1f
>>>
>>> But we usually just add exceptions for the files that we modified.
>>>
>>> When we do a full regeneration, we lose a whole lot of warnings that
>>> tell us where our code quality is getting worse.
>>>
>>> Do you mind if I revert the unrelated changes?
>>>

>> No problem either! Sorry for the trouble.

I had a think about this overnight.

Since we've been adjusting exceptions constantly, I don't think reverting
to a particular instant in time is actually helpful.

practracker is meant to help us improve our code quality, and maintain
that code quality once it has been improved.

Here's how we're doing that right now:
1. For large changes, require new or modified code to use best practices
2. Allow small changes, without requiring big refactors

I think that's ok, but let's talk about how we could make it better at
the next roadmap / retrospective?