[tor-dev] Metrics for evaluating sbws vs torflow? (was: Raising AuthDirMaxServersPerAddr to 4)

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue Jun 4 03:35:00 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 4 Jun 2019, at 12:54, Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> teor:
>>

>>> On 4 Jun 2019, at 06:20, Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mike Perry:

> Yes, that makes sense. A minimal version of this could be: don't do the
> swapping back and forth, just add sbws and replace torflow scanners one
> by one. As we do this, we could just keep a record of the metrics over
> the votes and consensus during this time, and compare how the metrics
> look for the sbws vs torflow votes vs the consensus, over time.
>
> What were you thinking for the timeframe for the complete transition to
> sbws?

longclaw has been running sbws for a while.
bastet started running it mid-May.
We can transition a third directory authority any time we like.

We need to keep 3 torflow instances until we fix these 4 critical sbws bugs:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2019-June/013867.html

After those bugs are fixed, we could transition one per month.

moria1 will need to install python 3 to run sbws, I don't know how long that will take.

Maybe September to December 2019?