[tor-dev] xp + T

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Mon Feb 18 14:32:11 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 13/02/2019 16:56, neel at neelc.org wrote:
> I don't think this is the right mailing list.

This is entirely the correct mailing list as it is discussing a
technical policy of the network team. This policy can be found here:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/SupportedPlatforms

> You probably shouldn't be using Windows XP, otherwise the EOL'd OS would
> be a weak point in security. One option could be to dual-boot Windows XP
> and Linux/*BSD, using Linux/*BSD for Tor and browsing, and XP for
> applications that haven't been ported.

It is worth remembering that most people do not have the privileges to
install software on the computers that they use.

Unfortunately, the current policy of the network team is that they will
not even accept patches for Windows XP support and will merge changes
that break Windows XP support.

I would be interested in statistics that show the current Windows XP
user base, especially in countries with users that can most benefit from
Tor. The policy has been drawn up primarily on technical considerations
but if it is shown that this has negative impacts for large numbers of
users then it may be reconsidered.

Thanks,
Iain.