[tor-dev] xp + T

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Feb 26 10:42:00 UTC 2019

Iain Learmonth:
> Hi,
>
> On 13/02/2019 16:56, neel at neelc.org wrote:
>> I don't think this is the right mailing list.
>
> This is entirely the correct mailing list as it is discussing a
> technical policy of the network team.

I am not sure whether that's actually the intention of the original
question. Assuming with "get Tor updates" it's actually meant to get
*Tor Browser* updates (there is no tor update mechanism for Windows
afaict) let me add the browser related bits here.

Mozilla stopped supporting Windows XP starting with Firefox 60 ESR,
which is the browser version underlying Tor Browser 8.x. We decided that
we will follow Mozilla here as maintaining an even larger fork
supporting XP is risky both security- and resource-wise. Thus, even if
tor would not have the respective policy for Windows XP, the browser
would not run on that outdated and unmaintained Windows version.

Georg