[tor-dev] Proposing sbws changes

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Apr 22 04:54:10 UTC 2019

Hi all,

We finished our first working version of sbws in March, and deployed
it to a directory authority. We're now working on deploying it to a
few more directory authorities:

We're also working on archiving and analysing the bandwidth files
produced by sbws and Torflow:

During this work, we've discovered some missing sbws features:

We need a better process for proposing and reviewing sbws changes.

At the moment, I am spending a lot of time reviewing and designing
sbws changes. And that's not sustainable. We need a process that works
when I go on leave, or get busy with other tasks.

I suggest that we use the tor proposals process:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/proposals/001-process.txt

We can submit small changes as diffs to the bandwidth file spec:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/bandwidth-file-spec.txt

But large changes, controversial changes, and changes with multiple
competing options should have their own proposal. Then, once we decide
what to do, we can integrate those changes into the spec.

teor