[tor-dev] OnionShare bug that's possibly caused by an upstream v3 onion bug

Ivan Markin twim at riseup.net
Sun Nov 25 23:15:09 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-25 05:30, Micah Lee wrote:
> I've been working on a major OnionShare release that, among other
> things, will use v3 onion services by default. But it appears that
> either something in stem or in Tor deals with v3 onions differently
> than v2 onions, and causes a critical bug in OnionShare. It took a lot
> of work to track down exactly how to reproduce this bug, and I haven't
> opened an upstream issue for either stem or tor because I feel like I
> don't understand it enough yet.

Hi Micah and all,

Thanks for the heads-up!

I write here only to confirm that I can reproduce the issue without
stem (using bulb) [1]. It seems that the underlying issue should be
in little-t-tor and not in stem.
Or yes, maybe it's not even a bug (though it seems weird to me).

[1] https://github.com/nogoegst/onion-abort-issue

--
Ivan Markin