[tor-dev] Proposal: Tor bandwidth measurements document format

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun May 6 22:39:19 UTC 2018

> On 7 May 2018, at 06:54, juga <juga at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> teor:
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>>> Suggestion: Add a field to hold the Ed25519 Identity of the relay being
>>> measured.  Say that implementations SHOULD include both RSA fingerprint
>>> and Ed25519 identity, and that implementations SHOULD accept lines that
>>> contain at least one of them.
>>
>> Suggestion: the ed25519 IDs should be base64 encoded, without a trailing =, because a trailing = makes the format ambiguous.
>>

> You're talking about the certificate, right?.
> This would change the concept of "line", since the certificate is more
> than one "line".
>
> This is how it is defined in dir-list-spec.txt
>
> base64-encoded-ed25519-identity :== "-----BEGIN ED25519 CERT-----" NL
>    certificate "-----END ED25519 CERT-----" NL

The certificate is a proof of identity.
But we only need to refer to a relay by its ed25519 public key:

"master-key-ed25519" SP MasterKey NL

[At most once]

Contains the base-64 encoded ed25519 master key as a single argument. If it is present, it MUST match the identity key in the identity-ed25519 entry.

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n416