[tor-dev] Proposal: Tor bandwidth measurements document format

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 01:18:47 UTC 2018

On 2 May 2018, at 22:39, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> >     Tor accepts zero bandwidths, but they trigger bugs in older Tor
>> >     implementations. Therefore, implementations SHOULD NOT produce zero
>> >     bandwidths. Instead, they SHOULD use one as their minimum bandwidth.
>
> And if there are zero bandwidths, the parser MAY ignore them.

Bandwidth files also need to respect MaxAdvertisedBandwidth and
RelayBandwidthRate/Burst. We need to specify that the relay descriptor
bandwidth rate and burst should limit the bandwidths in the file.

Torflow supports MaxAdvertisedBandwidth by putting relays in partitions
that match their bandwidth. Maybe it also does some other adjustments.

sbws can probably just do a min() using the measured bandwidth:
https://github.com/pastly/simple-bw-scanner/issues/155

For details, see:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8494#comment:5