[tor-dev] Bandwidth Scanner

Aaron Gibson aagbsn at extc.org
Mon Mar 19 13:02:00 UTC 2018

Hi all,

per reading [1], I see that there was significant discussion at tor-dev
around the topic of bandwidth measurements. It was unclear to me what
direction has been agreed on, or if anyone is leading this effort, so I
wanted to add that:

I have been working with Donncha, Juga, Teor, and Linus to find and fix
issues in the BwScanner codebase. As George K. indicates, I am time
limited and interrupt driven so I've made little progress in resolving
the "last few bugs" [2]

I do want to continue resolving these issues, and any help testing,
reviewing pull requests or contributing patches would be awesome. I
think it would also be very helpful for TPI to support this project with
project management resources to keep things on track.

BwScanner is written in python using twisted, uses travis-ci for unit
tests and integration testing with chutney. Development has been using
the github tools to facilitate code reviews and testing, and has OK
testing coverage and documentation.

--Aaron

[1]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2018Rome/Notes/BandwidthAuthorityRequirements