[tor-dev] Setting NumEntryGuards=2

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue Mar 20 03:57:18 UTC 2018

Back in 2014, Tor moved from three guard nodes to one guard node:
https://blog.torproject.org/improving-tors-anonymity-changing-guard-parameters

We made this change primarily to limit points of observability of entry
into the Tor network for clients and onion services, as well as to
reduce the ability of an adversary to track clients as they move from
one internet connection to another by their choice of guards.

At the time, I was in favor of two entry guards but did not have a
strong preference, and we ended up choosing one guard. After seeing
various consequences of using only one entry guard, I think a much
stronger case can now be made for bumping back up to two.

Roger suggested that I enumerate the pros and cons of this increase on
this mailing list, so we can discuss and consider this switch. So here
is my attempt at that list. Let's start with a more in-depth recap of
the one-guard arguments, along with some recent observations that change
things.

Arguments for staying with just one guard:

1. One guard means less observability.

As Roger put it in the above blog post: "I think the analysis of the
network-level adversary in Aaron's paper is the strongest argument for
restricting the variety of Internet paths that traffic takes between the
Tor client and the Tor network."
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#ccs2013-usersrouted

Unfortunately, we have since learned that Tor's path selection has the
effect of giving the adversary the ability to generate at least one
additional observation path. We first became aware of this in
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/14917, where the change
to one guard allowed an adversary to discover your guard by choosing it
as a rendezvous point and observing the circuit failure. After the fix
for #14917, the onion service will build a connection to a second guard
that it keeps in reserve. By using this attack (as well as a similar but
more involved attack with unique exit policies and carefully chosen /16
exit node subnets), the adversary can force clients to be observed over
two paths whenever they like.

So while we may get benefit for moving from three guards to two guards,
we don't get much (or any) benefit from moving to two guards to one
guard against an active adversary that either connects to onion
services, or serves content to clients and runs exits.

2. Guard fingerprintability is lower with one guard

An adversary who is watching netflow connection records for an entire
area is able to track users as they move from internet connection to
internet connection through the degree of uniqueness of their guard
choice. There is much less information in two guards than three, but
still significantly more than with one guard:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9273#comment:3

But, even with one guard, if there are not very many Tor users in your
area, you still may be trackable. "Guard bucket" designs are discussed
on the blog post and in related tickets, but they are complicated and
involve tricky tradeoffs (see
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9273#comment:4). The
best solution that I see to this is to make Tor maintain separate guard
choices depending on the current SSID, BSSID, or default gateway router
MAC from ARP. The default gateway ARP MAC is probably easiest for us to
implement cross-platform and stable across wifi to ethernet.

Arguments in favor of switching to two entry guards:

1. One guard allows course-grained netflow confirmation attacks

The counterargument based on #14917 above also has an additional
wrinkle: an adversary watching a suspect list of clients can easily
observe the "temporarily use a second guard" activity using just
connection-level ISP/AS netflow logs. To a large-scale netflow
adversary, the use of a second guard only when the guard is chosen as
the RP confirms not only guard choice, but the IP address of the onion
service itself.

Again, similar attacks may be possible against exit activity via
cleverly crafted exit policies and /16 subnet choice. (Aside: if we
allow routers to join any family they like without reciprocation, this
attack becomes worse.)

Having a dedicated second guard that is always in use will prevent the
creation and exclusive use of a new TLS connection just for this
request. Instead, the two TLS connections will both remain open and in
regular use as long as the client is active.

2. More than one guard allows us to deploy conflux.

As mentioned in the blog post, moving to one guard prevents us from
deploying conflux -- a research design that improves Tor performance by
combining two or more circuits together at an exit node or rendezvous
point and load balancing between them:
https://www.cypherpunks.ca/~iang/pubs/conflux-pets.pdf

Conflux works by giving circuits a 256bit cookie that is send to the
exit/RP, and circuits that are then built to the same exit/RP with the
same cookie can then be fused together.

Conflux was originally studied exclusively for performance, but the
technique has other uses as well.

If our conflux implementation includes packet acking, then circuits can
still survive the loss of one guard node due to DoS, OOM, or churn
because the second half of the path will remain open and usable.

Furthermore, if exits remember this cookie for a short period of time
after the last circuit is closed, the technique can be used to protect
against DoS/OOM/guard downtime conditions that take down both guard
nodes or destroy many circuits to confirm both guard node choices. In
these cases, circuits could be rebuilt along an alternate path and
resumed without end-to-end circuit connectivity loss. This same
technique will also make things like ephemeral bridges (ie
Snowflake/Flashproxy) more usable, because bridge uptime will no longer
be so crucial to usability. It will also improve mobile usability by
allowing us to resume connections after mobile Tor apps are briefly
suspended, or if the user switches between cell and wifi networks.

Furthermore, I believe that conflux will also be useful against traffic
analysis and congestion attacks. Since the load balancing is dynamic and
hard to predict by an external observer, traffic correlation and website
traffic fingerprinting attacks will become harder, because the adversary
can no longer be sure what percentage of the traffic they have seen
(depending on their position and other potential concurrent activity).
Similarly, it should also help dampen congestion attacks, since traffic
will automatically shift away from a congested guard.

So those are the major two arguments on each side. There are some
additional minor arguments in favor of two guards (Circuit build timeout
works better with more guards because it can avoid the slower guard, and
a second guard will also prevent information leaks like
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24487), but for brevity
I decided to mention those only in passing.

In terms of deployment, the switch to two guards is an extremely simple
one. We should only need to set the NumEntryGuards=2 consensus
parameter, and all recent clients will switch over immediately.

What do we think?

--
Mike Perry