[tor-dev] onion v2 deprecation plan?

Jonathan Marquardt mail at parckwart.de
Fri Apr 27 10:44:53 UTC 2018

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 04:58:36PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> In onionland, there seems to be little knowledge of v3, thus little worry
> about v2 in cases where v3 would actually apply to benefit, that's bad.

v3 onion services just seem like a way worse deal to the average user and
the unknowledgeable admin. Mainly because the addresses are way too long. I
can remember a couple of v2 addresses, but not a single v3 address. So that's
just bad advertising from the start.

Before at least Facebook, DuckDuckGo, The New York Times, the Debian Project
and even the Tor Project themselves (!) have rolled out their v3 onion
services, one shouldn't even think about deprecating HSv2. It's going to be
around for many years to come, taking for them just as long to vanish as an
SSL version, I think, unfortunately.
--
OpenPGP Key: 47BC7DE83D462E8BED18AA861224DBD299A4F5F3
             https://www.parckwart.de/pgp_key