[tor-dev] GNU Guix and Tor Browser Packaging

bancfc at openmailbox.org bancfc at openmailbox.org
Mon Mar 13 22:31:24 UTC 2017

There is a serious Tor Browser packaging effort [3][4] being done by ng0
(GNUnet dev) for the GNU Guix [0] package manager. GNU Guix supports
transactional upgrades and roll-backs, unprivileged package management,
per-user profiles and most importantly reproducible builds. I have
checked with Guix's upstream and they are working on making a binary
mirror available over a Tor Hidden Service. [2] Also planned is
resilience [2] to the attack outlined in the TUF threat model. [1]

Back to the topic of Tor Browser packaging. While there are good reasons
for Debian's pakaging policies they make packaging of fast evolving
software (and especially with TBB's reliance on a opaque binary VM for
builds) impractial. Both we and Micah have been doing a good effort to
automate downloading and validating TBB but I still believe its a
maintenance burden and Guix may be a way out of that for Linux distros
in general.

What are your thoughts on this?

***

[0] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/