[tor-dev] Contents of tor-dev digest...

Mike Guidry mike at mikeguidry.net
Mon Apr 10 15:17:13 UTC 2017

I am not trolling you.  I attached a PDF which explains how to trace TOR
connections over the internet.  It is not a joke.  I have some other
vulnerabilities at that URL I am releasing.

I'll include here:

Michael Guidry March 15, 2017

Tracing connections online from the virtual landscape to the physical world

Hacking is the intrusion of a computer by an unwanted guest, and is usually
used to express gaining access to corporate, or government networks. It
requires either installing using malware, phishing, or directly connecting
to machines and attacking their software with exploits. It is currently
impossible to accurately trace hackers online unless they use the same
software, and techniques for all their targets. It has become a major
problem within the last decade due to globalization, and corporate networks
directly connected to the Internet.

Tracing Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) connections across the Internet
is inaccurate due to how routing is performed across global backbones. The
global routing table is modified constantly with nodes, and routes being
adjusted for optimization, or quality of service needs. TCP is the most
used protocol therefore it is the only protocol which really matters to
attempt to trace. User Datagram Protocol (UDP) is state less therefore less
reliable for tracking, however has the same vulnerability. UDP is usually
used by hackers for exfiltration, or remote control after other actions
have been performed.

It is currently impossible to track connections over the Internet
accurately. Several cases relate to The Onion Router (TOR) sites aka “Dark
Web,” which were somehow uncovered using private technologies. Technologies
used for those cases do not work properly over regular hacking via proxies
online. Its an issue for the landscape of political hacking worldwide which
has been increasing annually across the globe.

China, for example, has been having a lot of blame lately due to Internet
Protocol (IP) addresses assigned within its borders being used in massive
amounts of attacks. Some of these attacks have been supposedly verified,
however it is impossible for China to have performed them all. Proxy
servers being used in chains may just be victims themselves. The problem
arises due to possible evidence planting being similar to proxying through
their others networks, or borders. It is completely different comparing
cyber war to traditional conflicts due to evidence being traceable, and
soldiers physical evidence being easily recovered.

Hacking back is a concept any government, or corporation is now detailing
within their playbook to understand how the liabilities may affect them. It
is the terminology used to attack the source of an intrusion by means of
hacking itself. Repercussions of hacking a country due to incorrectly
assuming an attack was originating there is highly possible. Cyber war
policies exists for a lot of nations, and it may easily escalate their
attention on whom they believe is performing the attacks. The same happens
with ‘proxy wars’ currently within the middle east, etc. Proxy wars
traditionally will have global evidence allowing verification of weapon
deliveries, or monetary exchanges to determine the origin of funding.
Soldiers training methods, and other strategies may be impossible to cloak.
It is generally accepted once verified, and escalation is directed towards
the proper perpetrator.

Internet Service Providers (ISP) have the ability to perform various tasks
internally to determine the pathways through their networks which would
reflect lateral hacking movements. Connections leaving a single network
that enter the realm of dynamic routing via Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
become a nightmare. The percentage of accuracy decreases

exponentially as each separate network is used to route the connection to
its destination. It becomes nearly impossible to trace after just a few
gateways at least publicly, or academically.

Unorthodox methods are required to allow tracing of connections under these
circumstances. Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) is a solution that
allows you to turn the internet’s own packet distribution system into a
tracking mechanism. Most people do not consider performing DDoS attacks for
positive reasons. DDoS may have been used by targets to “quarantine” their
hacking source temporarily from the Internet. This strategy is beyond the
scope of this technique, and is literally only a bandaid for a single
attack originating from possibly just a proxy.

DDoS is also illegal in most nations which have advanced their cyber crime
laws. The fact that this technique requires many computers performing
attacks strategically placed across the globe also ensures that they will
be performed from countries where these laws are being enforced. The attack
requires attacking all networks that you wish to verify against therefore
you are immediately breaking laws on the destination side of most of the
world simultaneously. It should not be used lightly, or regularly without
cause and understanding.

DDoS attacks transmit more data to a destination than a that network can
handle which forces it to stop responding in a timely fashion. The latency
is so high that the TCP timeouts are reached, and connections break. New
connections are also impossible during these attacks. It has only had
negative effects since it began being used globally regularly. This
technique could be considered a reverse DDoS.

The approach is to attack the entire world in a very strategically timed
manner using worldwide machines. Each separate DDoS attack using machines
worldwide would use different synchronization, and timing information which
would allow embedding information directly into the latency it causes on
those networks. The purpose is to compare that latency with the hack taking
place to verify its source location. If the attack disrupts networks your
attempting to verify against for milliseconds up to a few seconds then you
can perform several of these sequentially to embed information in this
timing itself. DDoS then becomes a positive useful solution even though
technically illegal to a currently difficult problem.

You wouldn’t necessarily have to attack the entire world. Conceptually it
would be better to use databases of networks wishing to verify against.
Residential, and commercial IP delegations throughout most nations would
cover a large portion. Government hacking groups have their IPs leaked
often as well. It is possible to just perform the attacks on these
particular sets of IP addresses rather than the world as a whole. It is
also equally possible to perform the attacks on entire ISPs, and countries
to quickly determine although this would not be accurate due to possible
proxies in between being within that country.

If the technique is used on a major ISP network rather than a gateway going
into an office then it is possible that a proxy exists within their network
which would read off as a false positive. Accuracy relies on the networks
your verifying against to be actual end user machines which would have
human attackers. If you were to attack a network, or router of a network
which has an office then it is highly likely they are going to notice other
hackers using their network to hack externally on scales which would
involve this type of solution. If you were to attack an entire country then
you are going to have a problem of not recognizing from timing alone
whether or not a proxy (of possibly several) just exist in that country. It
is imperative to understand this, and always attempt to get as close to the
networks in question being verified.