[tor-dev] prop224: Ditching key blinding for shorter onion addresses

Jesse V kernelcorn at torproject.org
Wed Sep 28 23:45:06 UTC 2016

On 09/27/2016 11:15 AM, Jeff Burdges wrote:
> There were a couple reasons I stopped the work on integrating
> GNS with Tor, which Christian asked me to do :  First, I did not like
> that users could confirm that a particular subdomain exists if they know
> the base domain's public key.  Second, I disliked the absence of the
> collaborative random number generator protections you guys added to Tor.

I am curious, what is your issue with the subdomains? Are you referring
to enumerating all subdomains, or simply being able to confirm that a
particular subdomain exists? If I know that google.com exists and I am
looking for Google Maps, it seems reasonable that I might try to look up
maps.google.com. I wasn't able to find a practical solution against
enumeration for OnioNS, but I am curious what your exact concerns are here.

--
Jesse