[tor-dev] putting 'Nuke MyFamily' to vote (#6676)

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Sat Mar 26 18:37:35 UTC 2016

One year after my last thread on that topic [0] I'd like to move forward
on the question whether tor should have a MyFamily functionality or not,
because it seems to be a blocker of prop242 (#5565) and it is clear that
the current MyFamily design is not practical for many - given the amount
of improper or undeclared families [6].

prop 242 is also relevant in the context of Sibyls because if MyFamily
becomes trivially easy for everyone to configure one might even start to
use it to tell "good" and "bad" apart.

If you have an opinion on that topic please reply.

I tried to collect opinions on that from past threads and trac.

When Nick asked "So, what do we think?" last year only people in favor
of keeping it replied.

In favor of keeping it:
	Nick [1]
	Teor [2]
	Virgil [3]
	Griffin [4]
	Moritz [5]

In favor of nuking MyFamily:
	rransom
	anyone?
	Please speak up.

Tools that use/display/process/depend on MyFamily:
- tor-roster.org
- onionoo
- atlas
- others?

Can we close #6676 if no one is in favor of removing MyFamily?

[0] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-March/008516.html
[1] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-March/008517.html
[2] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-March/008531.html
[3] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-March/008527.html