[tor-dev] Jacob Appelbaum's departure?

K. Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 3 20:51:33 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard on Hacker News that Tor Project announced that Jacob Appelbaum
> "Appelbaum stepped down from his position at The Tor Project". Why is
> that? HN users are theorizing about FBI's involvement:

> Does anybody know anything specific?
>
> Cheers,
> d33tah

Having seen first hand how a large open source project can badly
mishandle a situation and sour relations when one of its contributors
is in the cross-hairs of the State, I think its best for Tor and Jacob
to let them handle this discretely. If Jacob wants to say something on
his behalf that's fine. In the likely event that that is not the case,
just leave it be. Something that people don't generally understand
unless they've experienced it first hand is that the media is 95% a
mouthpiece for the state, all too often simply distorting the facts
and editing out the details that don't support the State's claims.
It's really not in the Tor project's best interest to be directly
associated one with someone who might bring the wrong kind of
attention to it (assuming that that is the reasoning, it may well be
unrelated).

I'm sure you're well intended and are just concerned about Jacob. But
if it is what HN claims, let it pass.

Cheers.
-M