[tor-dev] Prop259 simulator and results

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Wed Feb 17 13:29:35 UTC 2016

Hello there,

I'm not sure what kind of statistics we get out of the current guard simulator.

In general, we are interested in security and performance. For security we are
trying to minimize our exposure to network. For performance, we want to
minimize our downtime when our current guard becomes unreachable or after our
network comes back up.

Here are some concrete statistics that we could gather in the simulator:

Security statistics:
         - Number of unique guards we connected to during the course of the simulation.
         - Time spent connected to lower priority guards while a primary guard was online.
         - Time spent connected to lower priority guards while a higher priority guard was online and the network was up.

Performance statistics:
         - Time spent cycling through guards.
         - Time spent cycling through guards while network is up.
         - Time spent on dystopic mode.
         - Time spent on dystopic mode while the network was utopic.

Is it possible to collect those statistics? I'm curious to learn how the
current guard algorithm compares to the new prop259 on those aspects.

What other stats are important here you think?