[tor-dev] Next version of the algorithm

Ola Bini obini at thoughtworks.com
Mon Feb 15 18:57:27 UTC 2016

Hi George,

Sorry I've been slow to answer and send more info - was spending all
day Saturday and Sunday, and this week I'll be in all day meetings.

Anyway, just to avoid confusion - After getting the algorithm to the
latest stage you saw below, we started work on implementing it to
simulate it. Iván and Tania have been working on that.

I also wrote it in draft form, so this:
https://github.com/twstrike/torspec/blob/review/proposals/259-guard-selection.txt
Is completely rewritten more or less from scratch.

When it comes to receive new consensus, it is in the latest version of
the written proposal above.

The link Chelsea sent is a link to the original protocol, not the new
one.

So to summarize where we are:

- We have fixed a bunch of issues in the existing guardsim code
- We have added a lot of simulation cases to the existing guardsim
- code
- We have implemented most of the original implementation in the
- guardsim code
- We are implementing the new algorithm, described in the spec above
- in the guardsim code, and expect that to be done today or tomorrow
- The spec above is polished enough, that if you agree we could send
- it to a wider distribution and get thoughts.
- We might be able to start implementing this in tor proper tomorrow
- or wednesday hopefully.

From now, the team will take over most communication.

Cheers
--