[tor-dev] Desired exit node diversity

Thomas White thomaswhite at riseup.net
Thu Sep 24 13:10:15 UTC 2015

Could we perhaps expand the contact information field in some way? One
thing I was pondering a while ago was a social contact, not just an
email address. I raised a very brief point about this with Virgil in
Paris last year, but I think I made it very poorly at the time as I
just come up with it on the spot.

To assign an email address is good for email communications and using
PGP and so forth, but also allowing another handle such as a Twitter
username would be a way to create further credibility of diversity.
For example, my following on Twitter is quite diverse and it would be
hard to argue I was a government proxy or so on. If many operators
have Twitter handles where the information and identity is public
anyway, having a second option to tie into those social parameters
would be more transparent in the people running those relays if they
chose to be. For example, I have no problem in being open on some of
the projects I am working on, and I'm sure moving into a social sphere
could have a positive effect on Tor in general in terms of trust.

For example, let's say the contact box lacks an email, we could see if
there was a way for reaching out to people via Twitter to let them
know a relay is outdated instead of private email reminders.

Anyway I am rambling on a bit there, but my point is getting people to
use not just email, but also tie into a twitter account or something
of that nature would make it clearer that Tor is not run almost
exclusively by the military or whatever, since that kind of open data
with aliases and Twitter feeds connected to the relay ownership is
researchable if people, like Transparency Toolkit, wanted to "check us
out" so to speak. To verify the data, we could make Roster have a
small verification step, just a "tweet this code to verify this is
your account" and then Roster can store the URL to this tweet to
maintain an independent proof that alias controls which relay, similar
to how Keybase does it.