[tor-dev] Status of remaining SVN repositories

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Oct 27 12:16:37 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:48:11PM +0100, Jens Kubieziel wrote:
> Tor has a SVN with several repositories in it. The ticket #4929 deals
> with migrating them to git
> (<URL:https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4929>). I made a
> table within the ticket to track the current status. Most of the
> repositories are in git right now. However some remain where I don't
> know what the current status is. This are:
> - blossom

This is Geoff Goodell's thesis project from Harvard back in the early
2000s. It is nice for historical reasons but I don't expect anybody will
build on it now.

> - bsockets

This is Mike Chiussi's work on trying to get windows-style bufferevents
working with Tor and libevent. It has long since been supplanted by
newer libevent versions, and by Nickm's "bufferevents" option in Tor,
even though that option was never finished.

> - incognito

This is a super early version of what eventually helped become Tails.

> - libevent-urz

This is work from Christian King's 2007 gsoc project, to extend libevent
to do buffers better. It is interesting for historical reasons but also
not anything to build from now.

> - topf

This is Benedikt Boss's 2007 gsoc project, to fuzz the Tor directory
protocol.

> - projects (it seems sub repos are in git)

There are still some items in here that are live and useful, or at
least, that the rest of the world links to in a semi-permanent way.

E.g.
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/design-paper/tor-design.html
and
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/articles/circumvention-features.html

That said, nobody is actively developing any of these anymore, so maybe
we could make a static copy of the checkout or something?

> - website

We should archive this one and replace it with a tiny README saying that
it's gone (and then drop even that, when we retire the svn server).

Thanks!
--Roger