[tor-dev] Syncing the Tor+TBB release schedules?

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Sat Mar 14 17:34:06 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Isabela <isabela at riseup.net> wrote:
> This is a great discussion, thanks Mike for writing down TBB release
> process.
>
> I think is very important to start being more strategical on how we plan the
> different projects releases. Of course this doesn't mean we have to force a
> big change right away, that is why the discussion is important so we can
> figure out a good plan on how to do it.
>
> Let's see our options first:

[option 1]
> match Core Tor release 0.2.7 with TB 5.0-x release
>
> pros: PT and control port compatibilities

TB 5.0 gets _some_ new Tor features beyond whatever 0.2.6 provides.

> cons: probably will have to cut in half the number of features for 0.2.7
> release (should analyze how that can affect sponsor deliverables we are
> committed to)

Also, we might be tempted to avoid putting in larger features to 0.2.7
if we think that they might take more time.

[option 2]
> target 0.2.6 for TB 5.0-x stable, and aim for 0.2.7 to go out in the next TB
> series
>
> pros?

TB has a stable Tor to include; Tor team can c

> cons?

TB 5.0 doesn't get whatever improvements we do in 0.2.7.

> Did I missed anything?

Option 3:  Ship TB 5.0 with 0.2.7 in whatever state it happens to be
when TB 5.0 is released.

Pros:
  * As many new features as possible in TB 5.0
  * Not much additional effort for the Tor team

Cons:
  * Likely unstable Tor in 5.0; possibly buggy Tor in TB 5.0.

Option 4: Ship TB 5.0 with a version of 0.2.6 including some items
backported from 0.2.7

Pros:
  * TB has the features from Tor that the TB team thinks are most important.
  * TB ships with a pretty stable Tor.

Cons:
  * Some stability risk, but less so than option 3.
  * Some high-complexity features may be too difficult to backport.

--
Nick