[tor-dev] The future of GetTor

ilv ilv at riseup.net
Mon Jun 22 23:05:43 UTC 2015

> Hi,

Hi!

> Maybe an important difference here is that GetTor is a way to circumvent
> censorship (if I understand correctly), while our extension works to
> provide authentication only. I think it's a good idea to rely on browser
> stores not to be censored in the same way as your website. But our
> extension for example, is downloaded from the browser but then is
> executed from a webpage on our website and relies on description files
> provided by our website to verify downloads that are done one any of our
> mirrors. In this scenario, both our website and our mirrors could be
> easily blocked by someone who wants to block our downloads while not
> blocking the browser store.

You are right, thanks for the clarification. GetTor should work when
access to Tor Project is blocked, so the scenario you mention would not
work in our case. In any case, the idea would be to rely on browser
stores and start from there.

> Still, if you think that you can reuse part of our extension we would be
> very happy to work together with you to make this possible. We almost
> finished specifying the extension and Giorgio Maone from NoScript has
> started coding a first prototype.

Great! I'm sure your work will be of help to us if we decide to do
something similar. I'll contact you if anything comes up :)

--ilv