[tor-dev] Proposal 246: Defending Against Guard Discovery Attacks using Vanguards

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sat Jul 11 12:50:16 UTC 2015

I find it better to add a new consensus flag called 'Vanguard' which
will be assigned to relays with lower requirements than the 'Guard'
(less bandwidth, just the Stable flag). We will then select
second_guard_set and third_guard_set from relays having 'Vanguard'
flag. I know this could theoretically make a Sybil attack cheaper, but
by selecting first guard, second_guard_set and third_guard_set just
from the 'Guard' relays in the consensus, which are currently:

$ cat /var/lib/tor/cached-microdesc-consensus | grep "Guard" | wc -l

1552

would result in a less quality service for the users and it would
hammer the existent Guards way too much.

I don't think it's wise to change how we assign 'Guard' flag to the
relays - the requirements we now have give great results for both user
performance and load balancing. It would be better to just implement a
second/third class of guards called Vanguards. To have a bigger pool
of Vanguards so that the network will be better load balanced and also
offer more diverse possible paths it is simple - remove the relays
which are not helping at all and just eating consensus document space
(or at least a big part of them) so the vast majority of relays in the
consensus would be Vanguards. A Guard relay can also have the Vanguard
flag, but if it's selected as the Guard it should not be taken in
consideration for second_guard_set and third_guard_set. This is the
easy part.

What requires more research is:
3.2 - Distinguishing new HS circuits from normal HS circuits
3.3 - Circuit nodes can now be linked to specific hidden services.

I see 3.2 as a worse problem than 3.3. I don't see a real fix for 3.3,
it is by logic that if a middle node sees two HS circuits with the
same Vanguard can assume with high probability that those circuits
correspond to the same HS. This is just a tradeoff for this approach,
but as I said I don't see 3.3 as a flaw. What I feel little more
uncomfortable about is 3.2 which I think we should focus on.

- -------+----------------------------+

|  Rotation period  | Sybil attack with 50% success | Sybil attack (2
guards)|  Sybil attack (6 guards)   |
- -------+----------------------------+

|      1 hour       |        14 hours               |      7 hours
     |       2.5 hours            |
> |      1 day        |        14 days                |      7 days
> |       2.5 days             | |      1 week       |        3.5
> months             |      6 weeks           |       2.5 weeks
> | |      2 weeks      |        7 months               |      3.5
> months        |       5 weeks              | |      1 month      |
> 1 year and 2 months    |      6 months          |       2.5 months
> | |      3 months     |        3.5 years              |      1.7
> years         |       6 months             |

Required time for Sybil attack by a 5% adversary