[tor-dev] Proposal 246: Defending Against Guard Discovery Attacks using Vanguards

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sat Jul 11 12:24:30 UTC 2015

Hello,

Estimations look good.

I think second_guard_set & third_guard_set should not have the same
requirements like how any Tor client chooses the guard (first hop). We
can select second guards and third guards by requiring for example
just Stable flag?

For 3.4.1 - Load balancing - wouldn't this be much easier if we only
allowed relays in the consensus with a bandwidth of > n KB/s? I still
see very low bandwidth relays included in the consensus. We should
really do some math and only include relays in the consensus which
offer at least 2x (maybe even more) what it takes for the network to
include them in the consensus document and serve it to all the clients.

Most important problems are at 3.2 and 3.3
How easy would it be to distinguish the new 'special' circuits as
opposite to regular ones, and more important, what can we do to
eliminate this risk? We know that anonymity has many variables, and a
very important one is 'mixing in the crowd'. By looking different from
other users, we make one step back.

- -------+----------------------------+

|  Rotation period  | Sybil attack with 50% success | Sybil attack (2
guards)|  Sybil attack (6 guards)   |
- -------+----------------------------+

|      1 hour       |        14 hours               |      7 hours
     |       2.5 hours            |
> |      1 day        |        14 days                |      7 days |
> 2.5 days             | |      1 week       |        3.5 months
> |      6 weeks           |       2.5 weeks | |      2 weeks      |
> 7 months               |      3.5 months        |       5 weeks
> | |      1 month      | 1 year and 2 months    |      6 months
> |       2.5 months | |      3 months     |        3.5 years
> |      1.7 years         |       6 months             |

Required time for Sybil attack by a 5% adversary