[tor-dev] Scaling Tor Metrics, Round 2

Spencer spencerone at openmailbox.org
Mon Dec 28 08:47:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Karsten Loesing:
> Ah, I wasn't referring to anyone specifically.  I'm also a fan of
> David McCandless' work and have his book on the shelf here :)

There are two; a new one as of last year.

> (Next to the wonderful books of Edward Tufte and the great ggplot2
> book of Hadley Wickham.)

These professors have a dry, but excitingly technical, approach to their
work; I dig it.  Thanks!  I will definitely be playing with Wickham's
stuff :)

>> Spencer:
>> select the data points and jump offline
>>

> Can you elaborate on that?
>
> It might well be that we're talking about different things.  When you
> said offline I was thinking of somebody downloading a tool, like a
> Python script, to process data outside of the browser.  That's what I
> meant by building tools for a handful of people.  I think if it
> requires more than the browser, hardly anybody will use it.
>
> But it seems you're talking about something different, right?  Curious
> to learn more.

Maybe.  Downloading the dependencies can cause many usability and
security issues, so I agree with the example .py context you provided.

If the data can be selected, individually or all, and cached for offline
use, it seems that an included .css and .js could style and render
everything on the fly.

Quick searches show ngraph[0], appcache[1], and Google[2] have some
related things.

Wordlife,
Spencer

[0]: https://github.com/anvaka/ngraph