[tor-dev] Is anyone using tor-fw-helper? (Was Re: BOINC-based Tor wrapper)

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Wed Aug 5 19:04:22 UTC 2015

Just to touch base on this, and to give a rough status of where things
are.

The tor codebase no longer includes the C tor-fw-helper as of:

  d2cb92332009567ae778b3570e8fd3420c207446

  Closes https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/13338

The new (Go based code) now lives at:

  https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-fw-helper.git/

  I changed the import paths and what not so that:

  $ go get git.torproject.org/tor-fw-helper.git/tor-fw-helper
  $ $GOPATH/bin/tor-fw-helper

  Does the right thing, at least on my box.  In theory as long as the
  toolchain is properly setup, this will work on Linux, *BSD, OSX, and
  Windows, though it has been a while since I tested non-Linux (no
  major functional changes were made so I expect it to still work).

If people don't like Go for some reason, they can write a functional
replacement in $languageOfChoice, though unless they use library code,
it is Not Very Fun.

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 01:18:07 +0000
Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
> >  * I still intend to move the new code from github.com to git.tp.o,
> > and am willing to provide things like signed release tags, and
> > tarballs of releases if that will make packaging it easier, but I
> > won't be the one making packages (unless I happen to get bored
> > enough to put it in AUR).
> >

> That sounds fine by me -  I think that if that other stuff is done -
> it is easy to package it.

I don't quite have time to do the man page at the moment, but once that
is done, I'll tag, and put signed tarballs up somewhere sensible.
Since there are no dependencies required beyond a new-ish Go compiler,
this should be utterly trivial to package.

I'll try to do this sooner rather than later, but no promises since IRL
stuff is on fire for the remainder of the week.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel