[tor-dev] Urdu & Hindi translations of Tor browser ?

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Sun Apr 19 06:26:22 UTC 2015

David Fifield wrote:
> Griffin Boyce wrote:
>>   Both populations also have a large number of speakers: ~300M for
>> Hindi
>> and ~66M for Urdu.
>
> I was really surprised; Hindi is the third-most spoken language in the
> world, trailing only Mandarin and English. Of the top 10 languages in
> this Wikipedia list, Tor Browser is missing localizations only for
> Hindi, Bengali, and Malay. (Urdu is #11.)

   Yes, and Firefox has localized versions for Bengali(bn-IN), Bahasa
Indonesia, Malay, Hindi, and Urdu.  So the strings to translate would be
only for the Tor-specific interfaces.

   I guess what I'm really asking is what's the process for supporting
additional languages?  Would adding additional languages add too much
overhead to release cycles?

~Griffin