[tor-dev] Let's talk about Globe/Atlas development this Thu, Sep 11, 14:00 UTC in #tor-dev

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Sep 10 14:46:40 UTC 2014

On 09/09/14 15:42, Tim wrote:
> Dear Globe/Atlas Developers,
>
> When I used Atlas today with JavaScript turned off, it looked like it
> didn't work. I've heard that the Tor Browser is moving towards
> JavaScript being off by default (or, at the very least, one of 3-4
> security level options).
>
> As you redevelop, can you consider making Atlas/Globe work without
> JavaScript, or, at the very least, teach it to ask for JavaScript?
>
> (Alternately, I may have made a mistake in assuming that JavaScript
> was the issue. Web development / bug reports really aren't my
> thing.)

Hello Tim,

Atlas and Globe are written in JavaScript, so making them work without
JavaScript would either mean rewriting them in a different language or
running the JavaScript part on the server using something like Node.js
and sending back static HTML.  Or maybe there are even more options.
I'll leave it up to the actual web developers to decide whether they'll
want to work on this and what direction they want to follow.  But if you
want them to notice your request, your best bet is to create a Trac
ticket in the Atlas or Globe component.

All the best,
Karsten