[tor-dev] Understanding bwauth data in Stem?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sat Nov 22 10:09:47 UTC 2014

On 22/11/14 01:53, Sebastian Hahn wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2014, at 23:44, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org> wrote:
>>> Separately, is there a way (using Stem or some other tool) to see the raw
>>> bwauth measurements rather than the weights?
>>
>> I don't believe this is exposed anywhere, so only the bandwidth authority
>> operators have this. And by 'have' I mean 'maybe in their logs, or possibly
>> not even surfaced at all'.
>
> We could publish those. Let's ask karsten if he thinks that'd be worthwhile?

Mike and I discussed this a few years ago in the context of a
deliverable where we were supposed to "get bwauth and torperf data up on
metrics.tp.o (#2394, #2534)":

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/SponsorF/Year1

I'm afraid I can't find Mike's exact statement anymore, but it was
something along: "the bandwidth authority measurement setup is so
artificial, I can't imagine how anyone would use the raw measurement
data for anything useful."  I cc'ed Mike to correct me if my memory is
wrong, or to say if he changed his opinion.

That being said, I don't see any harm in publishing raw bandwidth
authority data if it's for research purposes.  Let's just not create the
whole infrastructure for making the data available on CollecTor, at
least until we're more certain that that's worthwhile.

I'm also cc'ing Aaron who has worked quite a bit on the bandwidth
authority code.

All the best,
Karsten