[tor-dev] Understanding bwauth data in Stem?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sat Nov 22 09:44:17 UTC 2014

On 21/11/14 23:44, Damian Johnson wrote:
> Agreed, it would be nice for CollecTor to have bandwidth authority
> information. However, with a few small exceptions (like rdns and geoip
> lookups) CollecTor is simply a distilled version of what's in the
> consensus. That is to say, by directly collecting descriptor information
> like you are you're already have a superset of what CollecTor provides.

Minor clarification: I think you're confusing Onionoo with CollecTor.

Onionoo indeed distills data obtained from CollecTor and adds things
like rDNS and GeoIP lookups.  But Onionoo is probably not the right tool
for researching bandwidth authorities.

CollecTor simply fetches descriptors from the directory authorities and
makes them available.  There's no difference between using Stem to fetch
recent votes or using votes from CollecTor's descriptor archives.

All the best,
Karsten