[tor-dev] How to distribute Tor with other software

Micah Lee micah at micahflee.com
Wed May 21 00:38:11 UTC 2014

I just wrote a little program called OnionShare, that makes it simple to
share a file securely using a password-protected Tor hidden service:
https://github.com/micahflee/onionshare

Right now it only runs in Tails. I'd like to make a versin that runs in
OSX and Windows, too. How can I make software for OSX and Windows that
relies on Tor like this, but without having to bundle Tor with it? I
would really like to not be in the business of distributing Tor myself.

When you run onionshare.py, it modifies /etc/tor/torrc and reloads the
Tor config, and when it's done it restores the original torrc and
reloads again.

I could require people to open Tor Browser and have it just use the Tor
that comes with that, except the fact that it needs to modify torrc
makes that complicated.

--
Micah Lee