[tor-dev] SENDME cells

Florian Tschorsch tschorsch at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Wed Jul 9 15:39:41 UTC 2014

Dear Gareth,

actually the sentence is correct.

Every OR maintains a package window and a deliver window for each
traversing circuit. You can check the source code: In or.h the circuit_t
struct definition declares a package_window and a deliver_window variable.

The reason is that Tor's circuits are originally following the leaky
pipe principal. Thus it is possible to leave the circuit at every
intermediate OR (as long as the exit policy allows it) and not only at
the last OR (i.e. the exit).

Eventually the OP maintains a window for each OR in the circuit.

As far as I know, this is not used in practice. Therefore to think there
is only one pair of windows at the OP and at the exit approximates the
current behavior sufficiently.

Cheers,
Florian.