[tor-dev] Revised Relay Descriptor Fields proposal

Ian Goldberg iang at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 4 20:00:23 UTC 2014

Just some spec-level nitpicking.

On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 10:22:59AM +0200, Virgil Griffith wrote:
> The value field must be printable ASCII (characters 32-126).

Presumably all values are literal?  There's no special meaning to ", \,
etc.?

> The value must not under any condition contain a newline.

This is of course redundant to the above.

> The key may contain

"may" contain?  But it may not contain those stated chars, and may also
contain other things?

> lowercase ASCII letters (a-z), digits, underscore, or dash.  In regex,
> [-_0-9a-z].

How many such characters must the key contain (after the "X-")?  Is zero
allowed, for example?  A regex for the key would be helpful:

X-[-_0-9a-z]+

(if that's indeed what you meant).  I'd probably remove the _, but
that's just cosmetic: X-this_thing looks odder to me than X-this-thing.

> There may need to be a maximum sum length of the X- entries.  This is
> left to the developers.  I propose a maximum sum length of 5 kilobytes.

Should there be an upper bound for individual keys, values, or key/value
pairs?

   - Ian