[tor-dev] use tor in my app

Terry Spearman tnspearman at twc.com
Thu Dec 11 21:11:57 UTC 2014

I've written an Windows 7 Visual Basic application that downloads info from
a website, that I'd like to use tor with.  I've downloaded tor browser, and
if I open the browser it establishes a connection to the tor network and my
application runs just fine.  However, if I instead run tor via tor.exe, my
app gives the exception

" No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
127.0.0.1:9150"

which is the same message I get if I run the app without first starting tor.
I confirmed that tor.exe is running as a process in Task Manager.  I've
tried multiple versions of torrc.  My current one is:

# This file was generated by Tor; if you edit it, comments will not be
preserved

# The old torrc file was renamed to torrc.orig.1 or similar, and Tor will
ignore it

AvoidDiskWrites 1

Log notice stdout

#Log debug file c:/program files/tor/debug.log

DataDirectory C:\Users\Terry\Desktop\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Tor

DirReqStatistics 0

GeoIPFile C:\Users\Terry\Desktop\Tor
Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Tor\geoip

GeoIPv6File C:\Users\Terry\Desktop\Tor
Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Tor\geoip6

SocksPort 9150

ControlPort 9151

CookieAuthentication 1

## fteproxy configuration

ClientTransportPlugin fte exec TorBrowser\Tor\PluggableTransports\fteproxy
--managed

ClientTransportPlugin flashproxy exec
TorBrowser\Tor\PluggableTransports\flashproxy-client --register :0 :9000

## meek configuration

ClientTransportPlugin meek exec
TorBrowser\Tor\PluggableTransports\terminateprocess-buffer
TorBrowser\Tor\PluggableTransports\meek-client-torbrowser
--exit-on-stdin-eof -- TorBrowser\Tor\PluggableTransports\meek-client

I can't figure out what configuration settings the tor browser is using that
are different from what's in the torrc.  I've searched the documentation,
and requested help from help at rt.torproject.org, who tell me that my problem
is outside the scope of the help desk, and suggested I try here.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.