[tor-dev] Distributing TBB and Tails via Torrents

Sukhbir Singh azadi at riseup.net
Thu Dec 11 16:44:19 UTC 2014

* Chuck Peters:

> I have been trying to download the new Tails the past week via torrent
> and the tracker seems to be broken.
>
> I know it isn't a good idea to use torrents over tor, but why doesn't
> torproject.org distribute the TBB, Tails and other tor related software
> with torrents?

We discussed this in the past [0] and Moritz wrote a script [1] that
generates the torrent files for the bundles. The only issue was that
with a public tracker, it's trivial to find out who is participating in
the download, and therefore, who is downloading the bundles.

(You can also request bundles from GetTor which is back in operation
[2], or using Satori.)

[0] - https://bugs.torproject.org/9071
[1] -
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2011-March/019809.html