[tor-dev] Understanding bwauth data in Stem?

Anna Kornfeld Simpson aksimpso at cs.washington.edu
Fri Dec 5 23:26:51 UTC 2014

Thanks all for the responses!

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Sebastian Hahn <sebastian at torproject.org>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> On 21 Nov 2014, at 23:44, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org> wrote:
> >> In other words, if I sorted the descriptors by "measured" value, what
> would
> >> that order mean?
> >
> > I *think* that would be the ordering of 'relays who receive the most tor
> > client traffic due to having a more highly weighted heuristic for relay
> > selection'.
>
> that would be accurate, is my understanding

Is there documentation of why this "heuristic for relay selection" does not
correlate that well with "bandwidth" in the descriptor? I've attached a
couple of scatter plots pulled from moria1's "measured" and "bandwidth"
values for each descriptor a couple hours ago (and the plots look similar
from the other bwauths).  One shows all values, the other shows the bottom
75% of values (sorted by measurements), and neither shows as much of a
correlation as I would expect.  Are there factors other than bandwidth that
contribute to this "heuristic for relay selection"?

Thanks,
Anna