[tor-dev] Decentralized VOIP (or video chat) over Tor

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Sat Aug 16 02:14:09 UTC 2014

   This is similar, though not *quite* the same.  A while back ioerror
released FreeNote[1], which makes it easier to broadcast audio and video
on a hidden service.  This is a pretty cool idea and works pretty well.
AND it should be pointed out that two one-way conversations can be a
two-way conversation by virtue of just sharing the links over OTR [2].

   Scott Ainslie and I discussed the possibility of taking that basic
two-way conversation hidden service concept and making a GUI for it with
Glade+GTK.  Unfortunately, neither of us really have the time or
expertise for this endeavor.  I got as far as wireframing some ideas
before going face-first into developing a more time-sensitive project
[3].  I'd love it if someone actually did this and released their
prototype as free software.  There are way too many issues with
centralized services like Skype and Google Hangouts.[4]

best,
Griffin

[1] https://github.com/ioerror/freenote
[2] Of course, if someone shares the links further, there can be privacy
issues.
[3] Satori: https://github.com/glamrock/Satori
[4] and jitsi never recognizes my fucking microphones =/