[tor-dev] Tor Challenge for onboarding developers?

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 16 16:03:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 5:57 AM, Helder Ribeiro <helder at discor.de> wrote:
> The Eudyptula Challenge is for kernel hacking and was inspired by the
> Matasano Challenges.
>
> I hear that several patches are already being submitted to the Linux
> kernel thanks to its "onboarding process" nature.
>
> http://eudyptula-challenge.org/
>
> Would something like this make sense for Tor? Is there any active work
> under way on improving developer onboarding? Thanks.

This sounds like a fine idea!

Our current process for developer onboarding is less a process than a
set of coincidences moderated by good intentions.  Let's try to fix
that.

My enthusiasm is high for something like this, but I'm already doing
to many projects to lead something like this and expects good results.
 Would anybody like to take the lead on trying to come up with
something here?  (I'd be glad to contribute, but I shouldn't take
prime responsibility.)

I'd be primarily interested in getting more devs looking at tor per se
-- the network program that I spend my time on -- though if other
projects leads think they need something like this, that would be fine
too.  I suspect that there probably wouldn't be just one trac for all
these projects, though.

[Eudyptula is a little penguin. Cipollini are little onions. Cipollini
challenge?]

peace,
--
Nick