[tor-dev] BSD 2/3-Clause License (was: Torperf)

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 07:29:20 UTC 2013

The only difference between 2 and 3 clause BSD is
the presence of the third clause. So long as you're
not doing what the third clause restricts, they're
compatible. Coordination is still prudent though.

3 clause still exists because some people (mostly legacy entities)
think "endorsement" and "promotion" are worrisome concepts deserving
explicit restriction (as if you could even define them). But that's all
rather moot because they are already implicitly doing E&P for all future
derivative products by forcing them to carry their copyright name
on/within them.

2 clause seems to realize that and is the current default of the
FreeBSD project.