[tor-dev] BSD 2/3-Clause License (was: Torperf)

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 18 14:38:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
> On 9/16/13 2:51 PM, Sathyanarayanan Gunasekaran wrote:
>> I'm currently using BSD 3-Clause License (used by Tor) for torperf2.
>> Kevin ported ooni's setup script and made it work with torperf2, but
>> ooni uses a BSD 2-Clause License (both are copyrighted to The Tor
>> Project). Kevin and I think they are compatible, but I wanted to check
>> in with you before I merged the changes. Thoughts?
>
> I have, honestly, no idea.  Cc'ing tor-dev@ in the hope that someone
> else can answer this question.

They're compatible; neither requires anybody to do anything that the
other forbids.

If the Tor Project is really the sole copyright holder on both
programs, then it's also trivial for us to put the whole thing under
2-clause BSD if we need to. (And I have no objection to dropping the
endorsement clause on torperf2.)

--
Nick