[tor-dev] #7167 (IRC meeting to discuss sponsor F progress)

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Mon Sep 2 17:21:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 08:00:00AM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> If your name is on that list and you're working on sponsor F stuff, but
> the date or time doesn't work for you, please email me your progress and
> I'll report it for you at the meeting.

We have implementations of the client and server plugins for
obfs3|websocket.

Ximin wrote the client half. I think the client half is done except for
polishing and bugfixing (and facilitator integration, see below). It
doesn't need further protocol design work and will likely stay the same
even as we make changes in the server part.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7167#comment:27
https://github.com/infinity0/obfs-flash/tree/master/mkii

I have been developing the server half. The tricky part of the server
was supporting the extended ORPort. I regard this implementation as more
than a prototype, but it still needs a lot of development.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7167#comment:32

However, a major part that we overlooked earlier is that the flash proxy
facilitator needs to be modified to know about different transports and
hand appropriate transports to appropriate clients. (This should be
added to the milestones, because I don't see it mentioned on the wiki
page.) George has started making a design and writing code in #9349.
See also https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7167#comment:17
("One thing we didn't think about...").

Currently our obfs3|websocket implementation works, as in Tor bootstraps
and passes traffic, but you have to start up a flash proxy manually
because the facilitator part is missing. We really need that part for a
serious deployment.

David Fifield