[tor-dev] Using Stem to monitor TBB usage.

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Sat Oct 26 21:56:59 UTC 2013

Hi Rémi, Vidalia does not show the randomly generated password because
it doesn't know it (the password is generated, used to connect, then
cleared from memory). To use another controller like Stem you will
need to chose another authentication mechanism. I would suggest cookie
auth - it's the easiest to work with.

> If I change any of these settings, then I cannot browse anymore, and TB displays "The proxy server is refusing connections".

That's odd. I've certainly attached controllers to TBB before. After
changing the authentication mechanism did you restart TBB?

Cheers! -Damian