[tor-dev] Hidden Service Scaling

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Mon Oct 14 11:24:21 UTC 2013

Christopher Baines <cbaines8 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/10/13 23:28, Paul Syverson wrote:

>>> To clarify, I was interpreting the goal as only the service operator
>>> should know the number of instances. In particular, the adversary here
>>> is the introduction point. If hidden service instances only ever create
>>> one circuit to each introduction point, each introduction point knows
>>> the number of instances of every service it is an introduction point
>>> for, as this is the same as the number of circuits for that service.
>>>

>> I'm missing something. Suppose there is a hidden service with ten
>> instances, each of which runs its own introduction point. How do any
>> of these ten introduction points know the number of instances because
>> they each see a single circuit from the hidden service?
>
> Ah, I have not been explicit enough when describing the behaviour I want
> to implement. In my original email, I set out that each instance of the
> service connects to each introduction point (this has also
> developed/changed a bit since that email). Unfortunately, I did not
> state the resultant behaviour I was looking to achieve (the above), just
> the changes to the protocol that would result in this behaviour.

That's from the PoV of Introduction Points. On the other hand, a
client that knows the onion address of an HS (or an HSDir before
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2013-October/005534.html
gets implemented) can still get the list of all IPs (at least with the
current directory design). If some of the "HS peers" that correspond
to those IPs are down, then a client can notice this by sending
INTRODUCE1 cells to all the IPs and seeing which ones fail.

As a more conditional attack (from the IP PoV), let's think of a
super-HS with two "HS peers" where each of them has one Introduction
Point. If one of the "HS peers" goes down, then the other IP might be
able to figure this out using the number of introduction it conducts
(if we assume that each IP used to do half of the introductions of the
HS, then the number of introductions will increase when one "HS peer"
goes down.)