[tor-dev] Attentive Otter IM bundle update

Tom Lowenthal me at tomlowenthal.com
Wed Oct 9 21:03:28 UTC 2013

We had a meeting as scheduled at 1100h Pacific. We broadly agreed that:
* we don't want to use Pidgin/libpurple
* we have a mild preference for Instantbird.

We have some open questions about Instantbird:
1. What sort of attack surface does Instantbird present, compared to
-- say -- a browser.
2. What's the timeline for Instantbird implementing OTR, and how are
they going about it.

Our current plan is to go for a more thorough investigation of
Instantbird, and work out what we'd need to do to take Instantbird and
produce Tor Messenger, and what roadblocks stand in our way. We were
unable to find a lead for this project during the meeting. Afterwards,
Arlo volunteered to put together such a plan, and possibly even
execute it.

Arlo has committed to putting that plan together by the end of the
weekend. If we allow Monday morning to read and digest Arlo's work, we
should reconvene some time on Monday afternoon, Tuesday, or Wednesday
next week. [Let me know when you're free.][1]

I've decided to send out updates to both tor-dev and tor-assistants,
as well as to the individual addresses of folks who are interested.
I'm committed to using the string "Otter" and "Attentive" in the
subject line. If you want to get those emails, please [edit the wiki
page][2] to add that info. I've only put my info there for now, so
please edit it if you want to get personal attention in future emails.

What you should do now:
1. Please [tell me about your availability][1] to meet next week.
2. Please add your name, preferred email, and IRC nick to the
appropriate section of the [Attentive Otter wiki page][2].

[1]: http://doodle.com/g7xq4e2x8pgf7vda
[2]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Otter/Attentive