[tor-dev] Apple App Store Redux

andrew at torproject.is andrew at torproject.is
Sun Nov 17 16:38:24 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 08:30:23PM -0500, griffin at cryptolab.net wrote 1.7K bytes in 0 lines about:
:   - Submit Apple agreements to Wendy for review and
: rejection/acceptance. The last mention of this was a year ago on #6540.

We have corporate lawyers for The Tor Project. I haven't spent the
money to have them review the Apple agreements, because they will have to
review not just the Developer Agreement, but Terms and Conditions, Privacy
Policy, and other linked agreements to/from the Dev Agreement.  Wendy has
a very busy full-time job and doesn't have time to be Tor's
lawyer. Mostly, I haven't engaged our lawyers because of the answer to
the second point below.

:   - A volunteer who doesn't work for Tor maintaining the app store
: version of TBB. This would also free Tor as an organization from having
: to sign agreements. (Though this may contravene Apple's terms).

I agree with this method. I don't think The Tor Project should be the
one maintaining Tor-something in the App Store. I'd rather a trusted 3rd
party who signs a trademark licensing agreement with us be the person
who maintains an App Store presence. This is how we do it in the Android
world with Google Play and Amazon App Stores, and others. In the Android
world, we encourage people to get Tor on their device through f-droid
[0], rather than Google Play. I don't see why it should be different
for Apple, Microsoft, or whatever new mobile OS is the fad of the year.

In general, our code should be highly portable to any OS, and others
can go through the specifics of getting our highly portable code into
various app stores, because they understand the nuances and details of
their preferred OS.

[0] https://f-droid.org/

--
Andrew