[tor-dev] .i2p address support in torsocks

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Sat Nov 2 17:47:56 UTC 2013

On 02 Nov (19:25:42), Maxim Kammerer wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM, David Goulet <dgoulet at ev0ke.net> wrote:
> > For now, it would only be .i2p address support (like .onion). In
> > torsocks, it's not that difficult to support both addressing.
>
> Does I2P's SOCKS proxy work in a way that's similar to Tor? Other
> proxies in I2P are protocol-specific — e.g., ports 4444/4445 for
> HTTP(S) and 6668 for IRC. I am quite sure that protocol-specific local
> I2P proxies like HTTP and IRC strip sensitive information, so
> providing the user with an easy access to .i2p services via SOCKS
> might be the wrong thing to do. The SOCKS information page [1] is
> rather scarce on details of what actually goes on inside the proxy,
> however.

For now, it's simply detecting an .i2p address, opening a connection to
the i2p daemon and pushing the request there. The person at i2p I talked
to told me that it's quite straight forward and no special SOCKS5
mangling would be needed.

If there is some work to do on the protocol side like you mention, I
would imagine that the i2p daemon does it or else... well there is a
problem :).

Putting someone from i2p in CC:

Cheers!
David