[tor-dev] Building better pluggable transports (Google Summer of Code)

Philipp Winter identity.function at gmail.com
Tue May 28 20:03:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 02:33:40PM -0400, Tom Ritter wrote:
> Can a country block SSH?  Surely state-sponsored network operations take place
> over SSH, so I suspect a country cannot block it quickly, easily, and without
> internal retaliation from it's legitimate users.  Bureaucracy.

There would be rate-limiting.  While not touching latency for SSH connections,
a censor could rate-limit the throughput.  That way, "normal" SSH would still
work while bulk file transfers (such as Tor tunneled over SSH) would become
a pain.

Nevertheless, I think this is an interesting idea and worth exploring further.

Cheers,
Philipp