[tor-dev] Building better pluggable transports (Google Summer of Code)

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Wed May 29 05:16:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 02:33:40PM -0400, Tom Ritter wrote:
> I have another idea.  (Not "another" in the sense of "do this instead", but
> "another" in the sense of "maybe do this additionally").
>
> Can a country block SSH?  Surely state-sponsored network operations take
> place over SSH, so I suspect a country cannot block it quickly, easily, and
> without internal retaliation from it's legitimate users.  Bureaucracy.

I assume they're more likely to simply whitelist IP addrs than allow
unimpeded connectivity for all. As Philipp said, SSL/TLS connections are
throttled heavily, if not entirely blocked, in similar situations.

> What if one of the obfuscated proxy protocols was SSH?  And not "Let's make
> Tor look like SSH" but "Let's just put Tor inside of SSH".  Have
> obfsssh-client use libssh to connect to a obfsssh bridge.  When you get the
> Bridge IP, you also get a SSH private key to connect to the SSH daemon.

We could go slightly further than this and build into the PT a rekey-gen
period such that bridge (IP addr, priv key) pairs are only valid for a
certain amount of time. We could even increase this to a (addr, privkey,
port) triplet, if we're ambitious. (Ideally BridgeDB will support
similar limited-time tokens for most/all future PTs, also).

(I also enjoy the slight irony of the fact that obfs2 was based on brl's
obfuscated openssh [0] and now we're trying to use SSH as a means of
obfuscation. :) )

> On the serverside, obfsssh-server makes sure SSH is listening on port
> whatever, and connected to Tor's local port 50000 (using the -W option).
> When you login, the client just talks Tor into the SSH stream, and on the
> server it's passed right into Tor.
>
> This also very neatly absolves the issue of "What if a censor tries probing
> a obfs-bridge to see if it's a Tor bridge?"  The server is a perfectly
> legitimate SSH daemon showing a perfectly legitimate key-based login
> prompt. Unless the censor has the private key, they can't login.  The key
> is distributed next to the bridge IP - it's not intended to be anymore
> secret than the IP.
>
> I think the advantages of this are:
> 1) While it does require some development effort - it's not nearly as much
> as other proposals.  Accordingly it's lightweight.  It's easy to deploy and
> experiment with and just see if or how it works.
> 2) It allows us to test a theory: that if we can identify a particular
> service or protocol that a censored country's government relies on, we can
> disguise Tor as it, and make it painful or difficult for them to block.

I found an interesting comment on a blog post the other day [1]:
  "