[tor-dev] Torsocks development status

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Wed Jun 26 19:55:58 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

For those who don't know, I've been working on a new version of Torsocks
in the last three weeks or so.

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2013-June/004959.html

I just wanted to give a quick status report on the state of the development.

The DNS resolution is working for domain name (PTR) and IPv4 address.
Currently, Tor does not support IPv6 resolution but the torsocks code
support it.

Hidden service onion address resolution is also working using a "dead IP
range" acting as cookie that is sent back to the user and mapped to the
.onion address on the hijacked connect().

I've changed quite a bit the configuration file (torsocks.conf) to fit
the style of tor (torrc). At this point, the tor address and port can be
configured as well as the "dead IP range" mention above. More is coming
but pretty simple for now.

Logging is working, connection registry and thread safety as well. There
is also a compat layer for mutexes and once I start porting the project
to other *nix system (BSD, OS X, ...) probably more subsystem will be
added to that compat layer.

So, in a nutshell, some libc calls still need to be implemented, *moar*
tests and other OS supports. I'm confident to have a beta version to
present to the community in a couple of weeks (if nothing goes wrong).

Feel free to browse the code, comment on it, contribute!, etc...

https://github.com/dgoulet/torsocks/tree/rewrite

Cheers!
David